October 22, 2014

Becoming a Better Mother

   I am a young parent. I don't have the experience that my parents had when I was living in their household. I have a ton to learn and I feel like I need to know it all now. So that I can give my daughter the best.
   Instead she gets me... An imperfect woman trying her best. For the last month I've been doing my best to focus on my family. I've read up on all the parenting advise articles I could find. To try and improve myself. I thought I would share some of the ideas I found.


  1. Being honest with your child. I know R is only two but I find it is very important for me to always be honest with her. So that as she gets older she can trust me. 
  2. Let her know what is expected. I know some people have simple rules for their kids to follow. Just keep it simple so they can understand depending on their age. 
  3. Kids will do things to annoy us. Try to remain calm and take the time to show them the proper behavior. 
  4. Allow consequences to behavior to be a natural consequence. If they throw something then they aren't allowed to play with it anymore. 
  5. Keep on top of your kids. I know it is easy to dish out warnings and then to not get up and actually follow though immediately.
  6. This one is important to me. Love unconditionally. They will make mistakes but they are still your children, show love after disciplining. 
  7. Think of the big picture. Will it matter in a week, in a month then don't stress about it. 
  8. Remember that your emotional state will rub off on those in your household. Try to keep upbeat
  9. Don't punish in anger. I know this is a difficult one for me. I found several ways to relax and keep your head when it happens. 
  • Give yourself a time out. Get to your room. Listen to music or meditate.
  • Clean it out. When I am angry I usually start washing dishes. 
  • Tickle your child. It will reduce the tension and sometimes they just want attention. 
  • Change up your routine. Visit with friends.
  • Say sorry and move on.
  • Let them make mistakes, they are just kids.
  • And the most important. Just let it go.

I am also learning yoga. In addition to increasing my physical strength and flexibility. I am learning to meditate and to breath when things get difficult. Things don't seem as bad when you slow down and think of all the good things in our lives. 

Thank you for reading and if you have any additional suggestions that work for you. Let us know!

No comments:

Post a Comment