January 12, 2015

Being Present with Books!?

We are often told to be present in our child's life, that time goes quickly and you will miss those moments.
It is hard being present all the time. I always want to be doing something actively with my hands. So I usually read or watch Tv and am online. My little one is only 2 and I feel like kindergarden is so far off I don't always take advantage of the time I have with her. 
I recently discovered a way to be more present and oddly enough it includes books. I think of life as a story coming straight from a book. I have experimented with thinking that way when I want to be present. I narrate all that is going on in my mind and think of what would make the story better. It sounds bizarre but that is how I think. It probably comes from reading to many books. :) 

Have you ever had time with your spouse after work or on the weekend and you find yourself once again on your computers all but ignoring your other half? I have. 
We care so much for the person we married but we don't always give them the time that is needed to make a wonderful relationship. 
I applied this same idea to time with my husband and I must say it makes a huge difference. Sometimes I read stories about a couple sharing dinner and helping clean up. They are usually so willing to give to the person they are with. And by narrating our own story I put myself out there to do something nice for my better half and it changes the whole experience. I become in grossed in our story. 

Give it a try. 

PS. Just a little about me. I actually used the story of when we meet for an essay I had to do in college. 

No comments:

Post a Comment