February 8, 2017

Service in our Community

     On Saturday I went to a church activity for the women of my stake where we were able to listen to Janice Kapp Perry, most known for writing primary songs.

    I learned many things from her but what I would like to share is how she served in her community. Janice decided to find something to do that would be a sacrifice for her. So, she called a friend that could no longer read and offered to read her a book. She thought oh... I'll just go once but after visiting she offered to return every week at the same time. Her service increased with time first it was one hour and then it was three. And she would never regret spending her time there.

A few years my daughter and I did something similar. In our ward was a lovely old couple that we visited all the time. She would make cookies for the neighborhood kids that were returning from school.

Soon after we moved in they invited us into their home. My daughter at the time was only one. And a bit much for them yet they always had a cookie for her and a basket full of toys. They would ask us to stay for dinner and they invited us to their family activities. When I needed a ride to church they were there and when she could no longer see well enough to drive.... I would drive them in their car. I loved to sit with them in church, Grandpa would always help with my daughter. And Grandma would give her rides with her walker. Grandma always encouraged me to be the best I can be. I remember her telling me that if you don't feel well to just get up and do it, that it will pass.

The sense of community we felt because of them was amazing. We planted a garden together even though all she could do was tell me where to dig and where to plant. We grew to love them very much. Since moving away we haven't be able to visit much and earlier this year our dear Grandpa Petersen passed at age 93. In his obituary it says "he never met a stranger" and I know that to be true.

At times serving others can be a sacrifice but I know that as we serve in our neighborhoods the love in our community will increase. You will find your place in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment